Freezer Pumpkin Roll with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
For the Cake
- 1 Scant cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- Rounded ⅔ C. Pumpkin Puree ( I prefer to make my own, but Libbys is great too!)
- ½ cup Pecan pieces (optional)
For the Filling
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) Butter, room temperature
- 1 Vanilla Bean, scraped
- ½ tsp. Mexican Vanilla Extract (if you can’t find it, regular vanilla extract is fine)
- 1 C. Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees. Use cooking spray to coat a jelly roll pan, cover with wax or parchment paper, and spray again, then lightly flour.
- In an electric mixer whip together eggs and sugars until thick and creamy, add pumpkin puree.
- Add dry ingredients all at once, mix with paddle just until blended. Don’t over mix.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle on pecans, if desired.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes, or until cake is springy and cooked through.
- While cake is baking, sprinkle a clean white kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- When cake is done, immediately flip it onto your kitchen towel, roll it up with the towel, and leave to cool on a wire rack.
To Make the Filling:
- In an electric mixer, whip together cream cheese, butter, vanilla bean scrapings, and vanilla extract until well blended. Then, add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
To Complete the Pumpkin Roll:
- Once cooled, unroll and carefully remove your cake from the kitchen towel. Spread filling evenly all over cake, leaving ½ inch unfrosted lengthwise.
- Once frosted, begin rolling, lengthwise, not too tight – you don’t want to smoosh out the filling.
- Once rolled, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes before slicing and serving.
- OR: Double Wrap it with plastic wrap and then freeze it, using a cookie sheet to help keep its shape during the first few hours of freezing.
- To Unfreeze and Serve Your Pumpkin Roll: Just move it from your freezer to your counter top for an hour or two. Unwrap, dust with powdered sugar, slice into 1 inch slices and serve!