Moroccan Carrot Salad with Chickpeas Recipe
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- 4 large carrots
- ¾ cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 radishes, halved and finely sliced
- 4 – 5 medjool dates, chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1 cup watercress or rocket (arugala)
- juice of half a lemon, around 2 tbs
- 1 tbs honey (or brown rice syrup to make it vegan)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp orange blossom water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place a frying pan over a low heat and add the flaked almonds. Cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly golden. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Peel the carrots then use a julienne peeler to shred the carrots. Alternatively use a box grater or a grating attachment in a food processor. Place in a large bowl and add the chickpeas, spring onions, radishes, dates, mint and watercress. Toss to combine.
- For the dressing place all of the ingredients in a glass jar and shake to combine. Spoon the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. If serving as a side dish place in a serving bowl or platter and scatter the toasted almonds over the top otherwise divide between 2 bowls.