Silverbeet with Cannellini Beans, Honey and Almonds Recipe
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- 1 bunch of silverbeet (swiss chard) about 10 large leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup water (or vegetable stock)
- 400g (14oz) tin of cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbs champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by toasting the almonds. Place a large frying pan over a low heat and add the almonds to the pan and spread over the pan so that they aren’t overlapping. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes before tossing. Cook until golden and place in a small bowl to cool.
- While the almonds are toasting clean the silverbeet (chard) and remove the stalks. To do this just run a sharp knife along the edge of the stalk and pull away the leaves. Place the leaves in a bowl for later.
- Chop the stalks. If the stalks are particularly thick you might like to cut them in half first before chopping them.
- Crank the frying pan up to medium heat and add the olive oil and stalks and season with salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until the stalks start to soften. Add the water or vegetable stock, if using, and the drained cannellini beans along with another pinch of salt. Once the liquid starts to bubble reducethe heat to low.
- Shred the leaves (how thick you leave the leaves is up to you, I don’t like them too big as it makes it a little difficult to eat) and once the liquid has reduced a by half add the leaves.Cook until the leaves have wilted before adding the honey and vinegar. Stir well and let the mixture cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve scatter the flaked almonds over the top