Spanish Shrimp with Garlic Bread Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 slice crusty white bread, about 1 inch thick, crust removed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (or ideally fish stock – but I couldn’t find any)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs. large shrimp (16-20)
- additional bread for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bread to the oil in the pan. Fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Place on a paper towel lined plate to cool. Turn the heat off on the oil.
- Place the fried bread in a food processor and pulse until crumbs form. Add the 3 cloves garlic, parsley, almonds, and a few tablespoons of the broth into a food processor and pulse until a paste forms.
- Pour the broth and bay leaf into the pan with the oil (if it’s too hot, the oil will splatter, so be careful) and simmer for 10 minutes or so. Stir in the bread paste and mix well – the sauce should start to thicken into a consistency almost like a light gravy or cream sauce. Add the shrimp and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and firm.
- Serve with extra bread for soaking up the sauce.