Spicy Lentil Nachos with Three Cheese Sauce Recipe
For the Nachos
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- ½ cup uncooked freekeh or other grain like farro, bulgur, or brown rice
- 4 cups enchilada sauce
- 3-4 cups broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, and lime for topping
For the Cheese Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups shredded cheese (half cup of three varieties if you want to make it technically “three cheese” – I liked Monterrey Jack, Mozzarella, and Pepperjack)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Rinse the lentils and the grains. Bring the enchilada sauce and 2 cups broth to a low simmer. Add the lentils and grains and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until everything is soft and most of the moisture has been absorbed. If things are getting too dry, add some of the extra broth to the pot while it’s simmering. The sauce should eventually take on a thick gravy-like consistency (see pictures).
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour.
- Add the milk slowly, whisking to smooth out any lumps of flour. Simmer until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Top the chips with a scoop of the lentil mixture, the cheese sauce, avocado, and cilantro.