Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- Optional add-ins*: chocolate chips (semisweet, butterscotch, etc.), chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.), dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, chopped apricots, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to cream together the softened butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, and mix until combined, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cornstarch and salt until combined. Add in this flour mixture gradually to the butter mixture, and mix on medium-low speed until combined. Add the oats, and continue mixing on medium-low speed until combined. If you are using any add-ins (up to 2 cups), fold them in on low-speed until just combined. Do not overmix.