Creamy Salmon Risoni Recipe
- 1.5oz / 40g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ onion, diced (brown, white, yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk (light or full fat)
- 2¼ cups chicken broth / stock
- 1½ cups dried risoni / orzo (Note 1)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 6 oz / 185 g hot-smoked salmon, flaked into large chunks using 2 forks
- Parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Melt butter in a deep skillet or pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Switch to a whisk and add half the milk. Whisk to dissolve the pasty onion mixture into the milk (about 20 seconds). Then add remaining milk, chicken broth, risoni and peas.
- Bring to simmer then turn heat down to medium so it bubbles gently. Cook for 5 minutes – stir occasionally for the first half then more frequently during the second half.
- At 5 minutes, take it off the stove – it will still be quite saucy (see video) but will reduce in the next steps and while serving.
- Stir through parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Then gently stir through salmon.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley leaves if desired.