Vegan Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 220g Sweet William original chocolate (or your favourite chocolate)
- 200ml (3/4 cup plus 2 tbs) chickpea water
- 3 tsp caster (superfine) sugar
- Prepare 4 glasses, or bowls, to serve your mousse and set aside.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place into a large heatproof bowl, over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a spatula until almost melted. Remove from the heat and keep stirring until all of the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Place the chickpea water in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix for 5 minutes, until light, fluffy and cloudlike. You should be able to clearly see trails from the whisk in the mixture. Gradually add the sugar and whisk for another 3 minutes, or until it has very firm peaks.
- Take ⅓ of the mixture and add it to the chocolate, and use a spatula to fold it through the chocolate until fully incorporated. You need to do this quickly while the chocolate is still warm, otherwise the chocolate could seize up, resulting a grainy mousse.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the remaining chickpea foam and fold until combined, making sure not to knock too much of the air out of the mixture.
- Divide the mixture between your serving glasses or bowls, and cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with your favourite accompaniments – this raspberries, figs or cacao nibs for a bit of crunch.